Sunday, December 16, 2007

Let's keep going.....

Well, so I think that I have decided that I quite like blogging, the problem being that I just don't think that I am that interesting. So like the big nerdy nerd that I accused someone else missing their Learning 2.0 homework to be have decided to embark upon Learning 2.1 which can be found here
http://explorediscoverplay.blogspot.com/2007/04/learning-21-master-list-of-things.html
And I have also gone back over another persons blog entry about Cultural Literacy and something else I have forgotten now, and in the main part I have to say I agree. In fact just the other day I was remarking to a co-worker that within two generations I'm not sure anyone will be able to read anymore, or perhaps I should qualify that with I'm not sure they will be able to figure out what to read for themselves anymore. And if people cannot find what they want within two mouse clicks they will give up. I think it's a great shame that we don't seem to be letting people in on the great joy of discovering information anymore. And sometimes we as librarians are facilitating this. "Can't find that in a book, let me google it for you" is a common catchcry amongst the staff, don't think you can find that amongst a list of items, let me create a bloody great icon for you on the screen so you don't miss it, are we really this busy people that we can't take a minute to look for something any more???? I don't disagree with making peoples lives easier, in fact I'm all for it, but shouldn't part of making their lives easier include helping them to find information themselves, and now that I'm sounding a bit ranty it might be time to go.....

2 comments:

Christian West said...

People might not be able to read anymore in 2 generations, you never know. Information is becoming more and more succinct (ie everyone wants the itty bitty 'news' story with none of the news). But it's okay, we'll always have classy magazines like New Idea and Famous to keep us up with in depth reading.
C

Heather said...

I agree with you, Ms Frazzled, about the joy of discovering information, just browsing through a book and finding out stuff. Whenever we asked my mother , "how do you spell what ever word it was" she would say look it up in the dictionary. We would , of course, argue and whinge, but then one word leads to another, then you find out a bit about the origins - did the word come from the Greek, the French, was it Old English? Then in the back of our Chambers 20th Century dictionary was a list of "foreign phrases and words" and a list of the origins of Common English Christian names, and lots of other stuff. It may just have been that I grew up on a farm , without much other activity, but books and finding out new things have always been one of my joys, and I don't think Google is any substitute for that.