Sunday, December 2, 2007

23 Done, but not quite dusted

Finally, the end. I was going along quite well, then things went bellyup for a bit, but I got there in the end.

First,
Habit 1 – Begin with the end in mind
Habit 2 – Accept responsibility for your own learning
Habit 3 – View problems as challenges
Habit 4 – Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner
Habit 5 – Create your own learning toolbox
Habit 6 – Use technology to your advantage
Habit 7 – Teach and mentor others
Habit 7 ½ – PLAY!Have fun! It's never too late to become a lifelong learner.

I've got most of them covered I think, although some of you out there may not agree. I am known to procrastinate a bit and that's not so good, but here I am at the final post for Learning 2.0. But, you know, not my final post for ever I don't think, I quite like this. I would like to explore the possiblity of a blog for the reading group I run for upper primary school students, they never hand in their reading log books, maybe they would blog about books they have read, you never know until you try I suppose.
I have really enjoyed the learning 2.0 program, but I have to say I have probably done about 95% of it at home. I felt guilty trying to do it at work, there was always something else I should be doing. Some of the people who have struggled to complete the program in the time slot have also had this problem, paired with the fact that this is just stuff that they don't do at home, makes it hard. As with our patrons, there are staff who just aren't interested in learning the ins and outs of all this stuff and that's ok. If we did it again, maybe do it in pairs and have time together organised off desk to do it, when it is ok to do it.
There's stuff I have to go back to, the RSS feeds for example, why do I have them, and what do they really do? Really simple stuff, probably, but ???
Podcasts could be used to great advantage by libraries, advertise the features of the library on local websites that may be getting more hits than the library website, people nowadays are more visual and may look. Link into the local school websites with podcasts on the local library and how they could support the students, podcasts to explain how to use the catalogue, the list is long.
Wikis sound awesome for libraries as well, book groups, staff manuals, facilitate more patron input, all good ideas for a wiki.
So that's it, congrats to all who have finished, and keep going to all those who haven't. I know some people who are keen to go in the next round, so that's good. There were some negative aspects to all this, but I'm trying to be a more positive person, so that's for another day.

2 comments:

I am not a Librarian said...

Goodonya Trace, fantastic that you've made it over the finish line!

A Blog for a reading group sounds like a great idea - I reckon that age group would love it!

MonzM said...

Congratulations on finishing your journey, well maybe not finishing your journey as there is always another journey to be taken...this is merely a pitstop on your lifelong journey. Are you up to taking another journey so soon after this journey as we discover Web 2.1???